Sunday, December 7, 2014

Holiday Gift Guide: Your Best Friend


Necklaces

With the stacking of simple necklaces being a bigger deal than usual this fall/winter, finding jewelry to match the trend and everyone on my gift list will be more than easy. It’s simple, it’s fashionable, it’s fun, and it won’t break the bank, depending on where you go. 

I recommend: Dogeared, Inc. products found here

Headphones

So I'm pretty sure we can all agree that one of the worst feelings in life is realizing your headphones are broken as you step onto the CTA Red Line on your way to class; it makes for a pretty silent twenty-five minute train ride. My philosophy is that no one can have too many pairs of headphones—in the ear, over the ear, black, rainbow, no design, neon, whatever. I am personally have over six pairs of headphones and honestly a good deal at Target is about to raise that number.

Turntable

I will acknowledge that getting your friend a turntable is a powerful friendship decision, but I promise you that there are cheap, portable, good quality turntables that will rock your friend’s world, and indirectly your own (did someone say party??). 

I recommend: Urban Outfitters record players found here

Journal

Ever since my 11th grade English teacher made his final exam be that each of his students turn in a journal of their thoughts, I have been a firm believer in writing about everything you experience. Whether you sat in bed and watched reruns of Gilmore Girls or signed up for the Peace Corps, you’ll want to remember the things you did while you were young and living in a city like Chicago. 

I recommend: Take a trip to Art Effect (or go to their website here

Private by Giancarlo Giammetti

A collection of images by Mr. Giametti and his partner, Valentino, Private is practically twelve pound book full of images that I personally could only dream of. From Italy in the 1970’s to intimate photos of celebrities like Elizabeth Taylor, the tens of thousands of images in this book are phenomenal. 

Grow a Santa

The only commentary I have on this gift is WHO WOULDN’T WANT TO GROW A SANTA?

I recommend: Check out Amazon, they're everywhere on that crazy internet machine

Hubba Bubba Bubble Gum and Lip Smackers

Everyone loves a good throwback to the early 2000’s, and who wouldn’t know that more than your best friend? That circle of gum that would never end and always turned your mouth incredibly blue is iconic. That Lip Smacker that was Doctor Pepper flavored changed your life, whether you want to admit it or not. 

I recommend: Claire's, always

The Comforter Bubble Bar

It makes purple bubbles; it smells like blackcurrant candy. This bubble bar is one of the highest rated products of Lush out there. That being said, I will also recommend the mint julep lip scrub until the day I die.

I recommend: Checking out Lush's website here

Flash Tattoos

At the heart and soul of Flash Tattoos is the beach. Lasting approximately 5 days, these temporary tattoos are (obviously) non-toxic and can be applied with just a little bit of water, just like the temporary tattoos you got when you were five. Primarily black, gold, and/or silver, these tats are incredibly fashionable and are relevant year round, not just when you’re standing in the ocean. Also, this would probably be the ideal way to get matching tattoos with your best friend without, ya know, needles and a lifelong commitment. 

I recommend: Taking a look at all the options on Flash's website here

Candles

I have yet to meet someone who has a strong dislike for candles. Therefore, they are a perfect gift. If you want to put a personal touch on gifting a candle, create one!

I recommend: Go to Waxman Candles right here in Chicago. All made in the United States, they’ve been around since 1970 and really know their stuff. Check them out here

Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham

So I casually am obsessed with Lena Dunham (also her boyfriend) and I think it would be a beautiful thing to have everyone and their sister read her book if they haven’t already. I know all my closest friends have read Not That Kind of Girl and absolutely LOVED it.

I recommend: Get your friend (if she hasn’t read them yet) Rookie Yearbook 3 and Amy Poehler’s Yes Please

Cookie in a Jar

THESE ARE SO CONVENIENT AND CUTE AND CRAFTY. 

I recommend: Heading to your local grocery store, getting all ingredients to make a batch of cookies, getting a mason jar from your local thrifting store (wash it thoroughly) and then pour the proper measurements of ingredients into said jar. It's so cheap; it's wonderful. 

Fig + Yarrow Sea Scrub

Created by salts of the Dead Sea, this scrub can be used from the neck and down to help exfoliate and detoxify skin. It feels amazing, and smells how I would imagine heaven (or at least a spa) to smell like. 

I recommend: Finding it here

Happy holidays!

-Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment