Wednesday, December 18, 2013

How to Shop on A Budget at Christmas

All of this for $18! (Source)


Shopping on a budget during the holiday season is never easy nor simple. Even if you set yourself to a certain dollar amount for each person on your list, it isn't hard to end up spending much more past that limit. Sara Autio, Designed by DePaul's Senior Photo Editor, came across another DePaul student's instagram of thrifted holiday gifts. Fortunately, we had the chance to speak with sophomore and originally Minnesotan Madison and get some more info!

Interview:
1. Who were you shopping for?

I was shopping for family and friends in general, for I hadn't finished anyone on my list yet. Urban Outfitters, like other large stores, has such a large amount of oddities that I found something for almost everyone.

2. Where do you generally do your Christmas shopping?

I generally go shopping at places that are accessible yet affordable like Target, World Market, Urban Outfitters, and other online retailers. I've found that a lot of the time websites have more selection than in-stores and sometimes have special offers.

3. What's the most frustrating part about Christmas shopping?


The most frustrating thing about Christmas shopping would probably finding the right gift and also having it be affordable. Too often do I find something I know someone would love, but it's way too expensive.

4. Are you a last minute shopper or a get it done early and avoid the crowds shopper?

I generally get it done over time by not ever really "going Christmas shopping," but rather keeping my eyes open and picking things up I know people would like early on. If I see something I know a friend would like but it's only October, I'd still get it. This too usually helps with money because you have a longer amount of time to watch for things to go on sale or find things you know they would like. If you wait until the last minute, you are often paying too much and have a smaller amount of options.

5. Do you set a budget for the people you shop for or just look for the perfect gift?


I generally just look for the perfect gift, but am wary of making an big financial purchases unless I know they'll love it. 

6. Is shopping on a budget hard as a college student or do you do a lot of sale shopping like all the good deals you got at Urban?


I do not believe shopping on a college budget to be difficult if conducted the proper way. Start looking early, and always look at the sale section. I almost never pay full price for what I get.


With only 6 days until Christmas, I hope most of you have your shopping done! But keep Madison's tips in mind for the next time your buying a gift for any occasion. 


- Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment