Monday, March 3, 2014

British Invasion, Student Edition: James Lelliot

 I think that I speak for most people when I say that British fashion is on point. But in all honesty, the men’s fashion intrigues me just as much—sometimes even more—than the woman’s fashion does. There is something very refreshing about a man who really cares about his appearance, and British men definitely do. Here in the States, your usual guy roles out of bed, throws on a sports t-shirt, a pair of sweatpants, and heads out the door. So clearly as an American girl, I am very please to see a guy who really takes the time to look good.

Leah and I had the opportunity to interview James Lelliot, an international student from Brighton, a town on the Southern coast of Great Britain. We thought it would be interesting to gain some insight on how American fashion differs from the United Kingdom, and just how he feels about it all.

DBD: “What would you say your personal style is?”
James: “I like to dress smart. I like to dress up more formal. I also take my time to get ready in the morning, and when I am going out.”

Queue British men's fashion advertisement below:


DBD: “What are some similarities between Men’s Fashion in the U.S. and the U.K.?”
James: “We have similar stores. For example, TopMan and Urban Outfitters. Some guys in England wear sports jerseys, but sometimes they don’t actually know what team they are for. A lot of guys wear vans and skinny jeans as well. There is also a lot of North Face, Abercrombie, and Hollister clothing.”



DBD: “What are some differences between Men’s Fashion in the U.S and the U.K?”
James: “I think that English guys try a lot harder when they go out. We like to look good, not only in the clothing that we wear, but in our hygiene as well. I think that English Fashion is more individual and diverse, whereas in America a lot of people dress very similar to each other. Men wear scarves more often in the U.K., and as less of a way to keep themselves warm, but as a fashion statement. I also button my shirts all the way up, and I don’t understand why American men leave the top few buttons open. A lot of guys in England like to shop at boutiques and designer stores as well.”



DBD: “What is your biggest American Fashion pet peeve?”

James: “I don’t like baseball caps on boys or girls, or overly baggy, low jeans. I also don’t really like the ‘frat’ look.”


DBD: “Have you started any new fashion trends with your friends here because of your difference in style?”
James: “I wear these boots which are a bit more formal, and one of my friends asked where I got them, so I went to Topman with him and he bought himself a pair. Some friends have also started wearing skinny jeans, and tucking their shirts in like me.”

DBD: “Are there any American Fashion trends that you have adopted?”
James: “I have started to dress more casual. In England, I would dress up more for class, whereas here, I wear DePaul Apparel a lot of the time. I like to hang out in more casual clothes now too. When I went home for Winter Break, my friends were telling me that I have started to wear more casual clothing. I also got my ears pierced here; it is definitely more of an American thing for a guy to have his ears pierced.”

The casual American male:

So there you have it, an insightful look into the mind of a very fashionable British guy. Whether you prefer the socks and boat shoes combination of a frat boy or a collared shirt buttoned all the way up like the charming British lads on campus, there’s every kind of men’s fashion here at DePaul!
- Celia and Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment